Thursday, August 27, 2015

Storybook Favorites

Wow! A lot of these storybooks are so cool that I had a hard time believing that students like me wrote these. It was also really hard to pick which ones to post about, so I decided to post the ones I would like to base off of when I create my very own storybook later in the semester:

I saw a few storybooks that incorporated the diary format, with Diaries: Inside the Minds of History's Greatest Heroes being my favorite. First of all, the title is what made me think it would be pretty cool so I checked it out and the storybook ended up exceeding my expectations. I really like how smoothly the author used the archeology research professor and student theme to introduce the heroes' diaries as the stories. After I read the introduction I wanted to keep reading because of how the author mainly uses a dialogue instead of in monotonous third person. Finally this kind of storybook design looks like it would be easy and fun to create.

There were two stories that quickly caught my eye, The Insider to the Royals and Gossip Girl: The Dirt on Hawaii's Elite. As a Gossip Girl fan I really liked how the authors used that "insider" narrating style; definitely one I would like to consider for when I write my storybook. Although I am not really into the Hawaiian legends, the Gossip Girl format definitely made them interesting. On the other hand, I really enjoyed reading parts of The Insider to the Royals because I like Disney princesses.  My favorite part of the storybook was how the author made it look like a magazine article and how the "royals" were spotted doing this or that; I could imagine Cinderella being secretly followed by paparazzi.

Now the best for last. My very most favorite storybook was the Greek Game Show. Besides being about the Greek gods I thought it was very original and funny. I liked how the author wrote about his experience writing the storybook in his introduction and how he gives a critique on his own writing after each story (something that would help me a great deal if I decided to incorporate the same style for my storybook). The best part about his storybook was how well he gave life and emotion to each of the characters by giving them their own personalities. This was the only storybook I thoroughly read and laughed at.
Screen shot of Greek Game Show

No comments:

Post a Comment