Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My Favorite Places

I was born in Oregon to a Puerto Rican mother and a Brazilian father. Growing up in a multicultural household has provided me with a more direct exposure to my cultural heritage. Not only did I grow up speaking three different languages, but I have also traveled to or lived in my parents' hometowns. As it should be of no surprise to you now, my favorite places all lie somewhere in America, Brazil, and Puerto Rico.
Personal photo of my siblings and I at the World Cup in Brasilia, Brazil; photo from July 2014.
Every year for Thanksgiving my family would go on a ski trip to Colorado. I have skied for as long as I can remember and picked up snowboarding when I was fourteen. What I like the most about going to the Rockies is going to the highest peaks and sitting down to enjoy the view from the top of the world.
Personal photo taken at Winter Park, CO; photo from March 2013.
When I was nine years old my family moved to my mother's hometown, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. Having lived there until after high school graduation was the best way to improve my Spanish and learn a great deal about part of who I am. I began to fall in love with the sea and made lifelong friendships in the small Caribbean island. Every time I go back the beach is always there to welcome me.
Personal photo of my best friend and I in La Parguera, Lajas, PR; photo from April 2010.
I visit my family in Brazil very often. My dad is from a city called Juiz de Fora in the state of Minas Gerais, just a little over two hours from Rio de Janeiro. Besides being considered an exotic country, Brazil is also known for its "Jogo Bonito" or "The Beautiful Game." As a true Brazilian, my father made sure his kids grew up playing soccer. I was raised to eat, sleep, and breathe soccer, which eventually turned me into a soccer freak. My favorite part about Brazil is being able to find so many people who share the same passion for football. 
Personal photo of my family before watching a World Cup match in Ouro Preto, Brazil; photo from June 2014.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, you were at the World Cup, Beatriz - how exciting! I don't think I've known anyone who attended a World Cup before! And being fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and English is such a gift. We don't have a Brazilian unit in class, but there are some great Brazilian storytelling collections online; maybe you will want to do a Brazilian project! Here are a couple of the books I know - such great stuff:
    Tales of giants from Brazil
    Fairy tales from Brazil; how and why tales from Brazilian folk-lore

    ReplyDelete