Thursday, August 27, 2015

Exploring The UnTextbook

Week 2: As a big fan of literary epic and Greek mythology, I would definitely like to start with the Homer's Iliad Unit. When I read the simple version as a kid I wondered about what would have been Helen's side of the story if we disregarded Aphrodite's promise to Paris; what would have made them decide to do something that they know would eventually cause chaos.

Week 3: When I saw the stories of Adam and Eve they quickly reminded me of a class I took last semester, History of Heaven and Hell. In the course we discussed about how the Bible suggests the presence of another entity besides God at the time of creation and how their punishment might not have been a punishment but instead a form of salvation. I think it would be pretty cool to approach these stories as if God were not the only supernatural being in this universe.

Week 4: The first thing I did when I entered the UnTextbook website was read the story of the day, The Wax Crocodile. I liked it so much that I would like to read the rest of the Ancient Egyptian and Stories Unit. The story was so magical that it would be nice to re-tell it from the chief scribe's wife's point of view, which might portray the scribe as the bad guy instead of the her being blamed as the adulterer.

Week 5: As I found The Life of Buddha Unit, I quickly knew that I would want to include this in my outline. In the History of Heaven and Hell course I learned a lot about St. Augustine's life. I know Buddha had a similar "awakening" as St. Augustine which made him completely turn to the hermit lifestyle. It would be nice to find out if they have any other similarities (and differences) in the way they applied their different faiths.
Rebuke of Adam and Eve by Domenichino.
I picked this image because it shows what seems to be Adam and Eve's punishment. However, as I stated earlier, this story could be approached differently, giving the creation of death a different purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment